🏳️🌈 LGBTQIA+ Pride Month 2021: Next steps for the long road ahead
New/Mode emphasizes clear values for our team, our work, and our community. We value empathy, celebrating and engaging with diversity, uncovering others’ needs, and finding common ground and shared wins. We strive for empowerment, for people to speak in their own voice and take action. We won't work with regressive forces. New/Mode subscribers are never permitted to promote homophobic, transphobic, racist, sexist, classist or otherwise hateful speech in their campaigns.
But this is truly the bare minimum when it comes to equity for those of all gender identities and sexual orientations. We need to step up and lift up voices that so often are left from policy discussions and public debate. We’re facing a long road to equality, so here’s a very high-level temperature check on some of the issues impacting the LGBTQIA+ community around the world:
Bill C-6, an amendment to the Canadian Criminal Code that proposes five criminal offences related to conversion therapy, is in its third reading stage. Soon, MPs will be ready to vote.
Lockdowns in France have seen an increase in anti-LGBTQ+ violence within families, according to orgs supporting lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. These groups have been under increased pressure to find emergency lodgings for youth who’ve had to leave home because of their sexual orientation.
Ireland has legally recognized same-sex parenthood for mothers, but has yet to do so for fathers and mothers who go to fertility clinics outside of Ireland.
The United StatesThe Biden administration has restored gay and transgender health protections in a major reversal of Trump-era policy.
Campaign Spotlight ⭐
- OutFront Minnesota launched a campaign connecting hundreds of Minnesotans with the state lawmakers, demanding they be held accountable for introducing legislation that would criminalize trans youth for being themselves, using bathrooms and participating in school activities. Hundreds of action takers made it clear that trans youth have a #RightToBe.
- Over 100 anti-trans bills have been introduced all across the US this year, and Tandem has launched a letters to representatives action demanding they protect transgender lives. The bills haven’t been signed yet, so there’s still time to strike them down.
- Another Tandem action is connecting Americans with their senators, asking them to pass the Equality Act: a key update to existing civil rights legislation to include protections for LGBTQIA+ people. It would prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity in areas including employment, housing, credit, education, and more.
Safe Spaces & Resources 🌈Here are a handful of resources to help you stand up and show up for LGBTQIA+ rights and initiatives, from film festivals to slack channels.
- Bargaining LGBTQ2+ rights: A checklist for collective agreement language, CUPE
- Resources from LGBT Tech
- Join The LGBTQ in Technology Slack, a space for LGBTQIA+ people in technology to chat and support each other.
- LGBTQIA+ media arts org Frameline
- QWOCMAP’s 17th Annual International Queer Women of Color Film Festival
- Making space for LGBTQ+ and wildlife communities in urban spaces, CBC’s Out & About
Interested in incorporating some awesome emails to reps, tweet storms, or letters to editors actions into your campaign on LGBTQIA+ rights? Reach out to one of our campaign advisors today.